Some people who see their refrigerators leak will freak out. Most of the time, they thought that their refrigerators are gravely damaged and it will be necessary to just get a new one as soon as possible.
The problems that could have cause a refrigerator leak are a defective refrigerator gasket or door, a drain pan that leaks, a defrost drain that is clogged and an ice maker that leaks. In order to know whether to repair by your own a leaking refrigerator or ask and pay for professional service, it is recommended to inspect these particular areas. It is more likely that the problem can be immediately identified and can be remedied on the spot Refrigerator Repair Los Angeles.
Here are the basic steps on how to repair a leaking refrigerator:
1) Make sure that all of the following items are available:
2) Examine the refrigerator from inside to outside. Try to look for the leak and see to it that the source of the leak can be clearly located. Most case will require the refrigerator to be moved away against the wall. It would be easier to pull out a refrigerator with installed wheels. If the wheels are not present, ask for someone else’s assistance in moving the fridge.
3) Inspect the seal of the door. Check all around the door if crumbs or other materials form blockage between the refrigerator’s frame and its rubber gasket which is tightly keeping the seal. This could cause the frozen materials to melt down and would lead to condensation. Use the soap and rag to remove the unwanted crumbs and clean the surface of the frame and gasket.
4) If there was no problem found in the rubber gasket, the refrigerator should be tilted back. Do it with the help of an assistant. Inspect from the angle where it is tilted away. This could be the source of the problem. To make sure that the seal is tight, the refrigerator should be faced backward a little bit. Once the refrigerator is tilted, the front feet should be screwed as needed.
5) Inspect the refrigerator from behind. A tiny drip pan is placed at the refrigerator’s bottom. Take it off using the screwdriver. Then, clean it up and pour in clean water. If there is a leak coming from the pan, buy a new one.
6) Check out the hoses which connect to the refrigerator’s ice maker. It is the tube that runs from the refrigerator’s wall to a thicker tube placed at the back. Make sure that the fittings are fixed. If they are loosening, tighten it with the help of a wrench so the leak would stop.
Most refrigerator leak problems are easy and simple to fix and the usual causes are also simple that can be repaired with no trouble and with small cost or costless at all. Thus, instructions on how to repair a leaking refrigerator are more of a do-it-yourself process and require no special skills at all.